‘World Hearing Day’ is observed on 3rd of March every year. Latest studies reveal that approximately 36 million people in the world suffer from hearing loss. Not many people know this but nearly 55 % of hearing loss problems are preventable. Top healthcare professionals have specified that early diagnosis and proper treatment can save patients from an ear damage to a larger extent. World hearing day is organized to spread awareness and aid people manage ear problems.
Causes of Hearing Loss
Hearing loss occurs when sound signals fail to reach the brain. Some of the major causes of hearing loss are described as follows.
- Age – Hearing loss may be a result of aging. Various people above the age of 45 may experience diminishing hearing ability. This condition is referred to as ‘presbycusis’.
- Ear Injury – Sometimes, any trauma or injury to ear leads to disabling hearing loss.
- Loud Noises – Loud noises can lead to a permanent hearing loss. Hearing loss which occurs due to exposure to loud noise is known as ‘noise-induced hearing loss.
- Infection – Ear infections should be promptly treated. They may contribute to hearing damage.
- Collapsed Ear Drum – Extreme sound can rupture the ear drum and significantly minimize the hearing ability of patients.
Types of Hearing Loss
There are the following three types of hearing loss.
- Sensorineural Hearing Loss – Hearing problems that develop due to aging or an ear injury leads to sensorineural hearing loss. It damages the hair cells present inside the ear canal.
- Conductive Hearing Loss – This type of hearing loss occurs when sound signals are unable to reach the auditory nerve of ears. This condition generally develops due to earwax buildup or severe ear infection.
- Mixed Hearing Loss – It signifies the hearing problems which occurs due to combination of conductive as well as sensorineural loss.
Depending on hearing loss type and condition of the ear, surgeons may determine an appropriate treatment plan.
Cochlear Implants for Treating Hearing Loss
Hearing loss adversely affects the social status and psychological health of patients. It may lead to a state of depression and minimize overall quality of life. Appropriate treatment is necessary to aid relief to patients battling disabling hearing loss. Cochlear implant is a clinical intervention used to treat hearing loss by placing a prosthetic in patient’s inner ear. This ear surgery amplifies the sound and enhances its clarity. It significantly benefits the patients who do not get results from hearing devices.
Best Benefits of Cochlear Implants
Patients with a cochlear implant can experience the following benefits.
- Better sound quality
- Better focus in noisy environment
- Hear clear sound of approaching vehicles while driving
- Take phone calls smoothly
- Enjoy music effortlessly
Availability of finest hearing loss treatments and other medical provisions have made India a preferable medical tourism destination. Cochlear implants cost in India is just a fraction of total money which other developed countries may charge. Therefore, international patients seeking best hearing loss treatment for impaired ears can heavily depend on reliable and cost-effective ENT treatments in India.
For more ENT related queries, checkout our page: https://indianmedtrip.com/treatments/ear-nose-throat-treatment/