Vision correction surgery is a surgery that works to correct all sorts of vision problems. There are many types of eye problems that cause clear loss of sight or low vision. In all the situations, a surgery is performed either to reshape the cornea, replace the natural lens or to make a clear the area in front of the eye so as to let light pass through it and reach the retina without any hassles.
To ensure correction of all sorts of vision problems, there are many types of vision correction procedures that are effectively delivering results. In the recent years many new technologies and innovative medical treatments have also come to for even better results. Some of the most common types of vision correction procedures are:
This is a short term used for ‘laser in-situ keratomileusis’ and is a surgery that works to reshape the corneal tissue of the eye using wavefront technology or laser so as to focus proper light onto the retina. This is mainly done on people who are suffering from eye problems like farsightedness, nearsightedness or astigmatism.
Read Complete LASIK Eye Surgery Pocedure
Advantages of Lasik
The advantages of Lasik include:
- The procedure takes almost 30 minutes or even less to deliver effective results.
- The innovations infused in the Lasik have eliminated the many risks associated with refractive surgery.
- About 98% people who have undergone this surgery have experienced satisfactory results.
- This is a permanent solution to vision correction issues that does not require any kind of follow up procedures or further sittings for improved eyesight.
- The results are quick with a recovery of just a day. People who undergo this surgery can get back to normal schedule the next day of surgery.
Disadvantages of Lasik
The disadvantages of Lasik include:
- The surgery is mainly done on a sensitive area and any risk or complication associated is irreversible.
- The surgery goes deep in the soft layers of the cornea and may lead to weakening of the cornea.
- It can even cause some sort of damage to corneal nerve leading to dry eye symptoms.
This is a short term used for ‘photorefractive keratectomy’ and is a surgery that works to reshape the cornea in people suffering from mild to moderate farsightedness, nearsightedness or astigmatism.
Advantages of PRK
The advantages of PRK include:
- In this surgery no laser is used for creating the flap and hence the cornea is remained untouched.
- The recovery rate of the corneal nerves is higher and hence prevents dry eye symptoms.
- The surgery is believed to be highly accurate especially in cases to correct nearsightedness.
- More than 90% of the people who have undergone surgery go with glasses or contact lens after one year of surgery.
Disadvantages of PRK
The disadvantages of PRK include:
- This surgery often leads to some of discomfort and eye irritation that last to about three to four days after the surgery.
- It takes longer time for recovery and to get back to normal schedules.
- There are chances of haze development in the cornea and hence patients are required to use cortisone drops for nearly about 3 to 4 months.
This is a short term used for ‘laser epithelial keratomileusis’ and is known to be a variation of PRK. In this surgery laser is used to reshape the cornea by creating the epithelial flap through which the epithelial cells are loosened with the use of 20% alcoholic solution.
Advantages of Lasek
The advantages of Lasek include:
- The major risks and complications associated with cutting the flap is avoided.
- The surgery has negligible chances of developing dry eye symptoms.
Disadvantages of Lasek
The disadvantages of Lasek include:
- The recovery time is too long.
- The surgery causes more pain and discomfort as compared to Lasik.
- After the surgery wearing a bandage contact lens becomes mandatory for about 3 to 4 days.
- It is also mandatory to use steroid drops for few weeks after the surgery for about a few weeks.
This is a short term used for ‘refractive lens exchange’. In the procedure the natural lens is replaced by a silicone lens through a small incision made at the tip of the cornea. This is a perfect solution for people who have thin cornea and who have vision problems of extreme nearsightedness or farsightedness.
Advantages of RLE
The advantages of RLE include:
- The surgery can resolve extreme vision problems with ease and success. The results are tremendous even with high prescriptions that go beyond the reach of laser surgery.
- The visual recovery is quick with excellent results.
- Chances of getting cataract becomes negligible at older age
- During the procedure the cornea of the eye is left completely untouched and hence there are no issues with weakening of the eye or dry eye symptoms.
- It is purely tested method of vision correction and has worked successfully on many patients over the years.
Disadvantages of RLE
The disadvantages of RLE include:
- The main disadvantage is that the vision patients get after surgery is always not satisfactory. It depends purely on the eye condition of the patient.
- If the surgery is not performed by expert hands it may lead to some sort of risks and complications. This is because the procedure might take use of crystalens that is an artificial lens implants and performing this requires expertise and experience.
This is a short term used for ‘astigmatic keratotomy’ and is a surgical procedure used to correct astigmatism through one or two incisions made at the steepest of the affected eye cornea. The procedure can also be combined with various other eye surgeries.
Advantages of AK
The advantages of AK include:
- This is a very safe and effective vision correction surgery.
- It is a reliable eye surgery and most successful when it comes to treating astigmatism.
Disadvantages of AK
The disadvantages of AK include:
- There is some sort of discomfort that lasts for about 2 to 3 days after surgery.
- If any complication occurs during the procedure or after the surgery, it stays permanent.
You can send your queries at: firstname.lastname@example.org & https://indianmedtrip.com/contact-us/
Call or WhatsApp: +91-8600855554